Kim Malsam-Rysdon, Secretary of Health

South Dakota Board of Pharmacy


Procedures for Closing a Pharmacy

Listed below are some of the requirements for closure of a pharmacy and transfer of controlled substances.

Board of Pharmacy Requirements:  At least 10 days before closing notify the Board of the intended closing. Effective with the closing date the Pharmacist-in-charge shall:

  • Return the Pharmacy Permit to the Board office, noting the closing date. 
  • Notify the Board as to the disposition of the prescription files, prescriptions drugs, non-prescription items and required records.  The PIC must also ensure that all legend drugs are removed from the pharmacy at the time of closing.

South Dakota Department of Health Requirements:  Send a letter with notice of closure to the South Dakota Department of Health.  Return the Controlled Substances Certificate of Registration issued by the Health Department.  Mail this information to South Dakota Department of Health, Office of Health Facilities Licensure & Certification, Controlled Substances Registration, 615 East Fourth St., Pierre, SD  57501-5070.

Drug Enforcement Administration Requirements:  You should send the following materials to:  DEA, Des Moines Resident Office, Federal Building, Room 937, 210 Walnut St., Des Moines, Iowa 50309.  Phone:  515-284-4700.

  • Federal DEA Certificate of Registration
  • Any unused DEA order forms (DEA 222).  These forms should be marked “VOID” across the face prior to being sent.
  • A letter stating the name, address, and registration number of the pharmacy discontinuing business.  The letter should also state that the pharmacy is being closed and not transferred to another person.  The date of the closure should be included.

Sale of Controlled Substances to Another PharmacyUpon closure, a complete inventory of all controlled substances should be taken to serve as an invoice for the sale.  Each party should retain a copy of this inventory.  You do not have to send this record to the DEA.  If any Schedule II substances are sold, the purchaser must complete a DEA 222 form for this transaction.  You will receive two copies of this form.  Keep one copy for your records and send one to the DEA address listed on the form.

Destruction of Unusable Controlled Substances:  Contact a pharmacy inspector, the Board of Pharmacy office, or the Department of Health to destroy any unusable controlled substance products.  These products should be inventoried on the day you close with a record made.

If you have questions please call:

  South Dakota Board of Pharmacy  605-362-2737  
  South Dakota Department of Health (Office of Health Facilities Licensure & Certification, Controlled Substances Registration)  605-773-4520

Revised 1/08