Procedures for Closing a Pharmacy
Board of Pharmacy Requirements:
- At least 10 days before closing, notify the Board of the intended closing.
- Effective with the closing date the Pharmacist-in-charge shall:
- Complete the Resident and Non-Resident Pharmacy Notification Form
- Notify the Board as to the disposition of the prescription files, prescriptions drugs, non-prescription items and required records.
- The PIC must also ensure that all legend drugs are removed from the pharmacy at the time of closing.
South Dakota Department of Health Requirements:
- Send a letter with notice of closure to the South Dakota Department of Health.
- Describe the disposition or transferring information related to any existing stock of controlled substances
- Return the Controlled Substances Certificate of Registration issued by the Health Department. Mail this information to the South Dakota Department of Health, Office of Health Facilities Licensure & Certification, Controlled Substances Registration, 600 East Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501-5070.
- Drug Enforcement Administration Requirements:
- Send the following materials to the Omaha DEA Regional Office – see address below:
- Federal DEA Certificate of Registration
- Any unused DEA order forms (DEA 222). These forms should be marked “VOID” across the face prior to being sent.
- A letter stating the name, address, and registration number of the pharmacy discontinuing business. The letter should also state that the pharmacy is being closed and not transferred to another person. The date of the closure should be included. See The Pharmacist's Manual.
DEA OMAHA REGIONAL OFFICE:
Drug Enforcement Administration
7300 World Communications Drive
Omaha, NE 68122
Destruction of Unusable Controlled Substances: Any unusable controlled substance products shall be destroyed utilizing your reverse distributor or if necessary, using a DEA Form 41.