Keeping the public, healthcare professionals, and stakeholders informed is crucial to promoting transparency and facilitating effective communication. On this page, you will find up-to-date news articles, press releases, and announcements covering a wide range of topics, including disease outbreaks, public health campaigns, vaccination updates, and more.
Latest News and Updates
Tia Kafka serves as the Marketing & Outreach Director for the Department of Health. She oversees the communications team and manages all department's media, communications, and marketing initiatives. Tia is a skilled and trained communications professional with over a decade of serving in various capacities within the state government and the private sector. Before transitioning to the Department of Health, Tia worked for the Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce as the Convention and Visitors Bureau Director and the Chamber CEO. She specializes in communication strategies including marketing, fundraising, event planning, customer services, public awareness, media relations, and education tactics.
Tia graduated from Minnesota State University, Moorhead in 2007 with a bachelor’s degree in mass communications with an emphasis on public relations and advertising. She and her husband moved to Pierre in 2011. Joe and Tia have two boys, Gavin and Aiden. Outside of work, Tia enjoys spending time with her family fishing, camping, and hiking outdoors. She also enjoys reading, dancing, watching movies, and snuggling with her kiddos and fur babies.
- 2022 Nursing Facility Moratorium Report (updated 12/16/22)
- Manganese in Drinking Water (SD DENR)
- Manganese ToxFAQs (ASTDR)
- Prescription Opioid Abuse Prevention Initiative
- Monthly reports of health and infectious disease data for South Dakota
- Current survey reports for South Dakota nursing facilities
- Current health inspection scores for South Dakota restaurant, lodging, and campground establishments
- South Dakota Health Link
- Department of Health HIPAA notice