With age, it can be difficult for individuals to take care of themselves and for their families to step in and become a caregiver. In situations like these, there are many options for long-term care available for those who need them. Find the right long-term care facility for you or a loved one.
Information for Consumers
- Find current survey reports for South Dakota nursing facilities
- South Dakota Hospital PricePoint - consumer information about inpatient services & charges
- Find & compare nursing homes, hospitals, & other providers near you - U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Dakota at Home Department of Human Services
- Nursing Facility Bed Availability Report
- Department of Human Services Ombudsman Program - The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program is mandated by the U.S. Administration on Aging to advocate for and protect the rights of residents of nursing and assisted living facilities. Adult Services and Aging Specialists serve as advocates for facility residents and investigate and work toward the resolution of their complaints. Ombudsman Services are provided at no cost to the resident or facility.
- SD Visitation Laws, Rules, Regulations, and Guidance
- Health Care Facility Licensure & Certification Staff Contact List
- Consumer Protection:
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
CMS oversees the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Nursing facilities that provide services under these programs must be certified as meeting federal minimum requirements established by Congress. To receive payment under the Medicare / Medicaid programs, nursing facilities must be in compliance with the requirements at 42 CFR Part 483, Subpart B. Certification is achieved through routine facility surveys conducted by the South Dakota Department of Health, Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure and Certification through a contract with CMS. Additionally, the Administrative Rules of South Dakota, Article 44:73, Nursing Facilities, require all nursing facilities to obtain a license from the department.
- Nursing Home Compare — CMS site providing current survey results from nursing homes participating in Medicare and Medicaid
- Medicare / Medicaid Conditions of Participation for Nursing Facilities