Procedures for Opening a Pharmacy
Board of Pharmacy Requirements:
- At least 30 days before the opening, apply for a “new pharmacy license” online New Pharmacy Application and User Guide with the fee.
- Submit a blueprint or sketch of the new facility, including elevations showing consultation
area. Review rules for security, access, and minimum equipment requirements.
- Request an inspection of the new pharmacy by a Board of Pharmacy Inspector approximately two weeks prior to opening date.
South Dakota Department of Health Requirements:
- Submit an application for a South Dakota Controlled Substances Certificate of Registration issued by the Health Department. The South Dakota State Board of Pharmacy License must be obtained before submitting this application.
- Apply for the SD Department of Health Controlled Substance Registration and DEA registration concurrently. Webpage here
Drug Enforcement Administration Requirements:
- Submit an application for DEA registration (DEA Form-224). See DEA Applications .
If the application is submitted before the Pharmacy License is obtained, the applicant may enter “pending” in the appropriate area.
- The registrant transferring the pharmacy business to another registrant shall notify the nearest DEA Registration Field office at least 14 days before the proposed date of transfer and provide the following information:
• The name, address and registration number of the registrant discontinuing business;
• The name, address and registration number of the registrant acquiring the pharmacy;
• Whether the business activities will be continued at the location registered by the current
business owner or moved to another location. It the latter, give the address of the new
• The date on which the controlled substances will be transferred to the person acquiring the pharmacy.