Melissa Magstadt, South Dakota Secretary of Health

South Dakota Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology

Frequently Asked Questions


1. What are the fees for licensure?


The fees for licensure can be found on the application form and in Administrative Rule ARSD 20:79:01:06 and ARSD 20:79:01:07.


2. Do I need to provide transcripts even if I am ASHA certified?


Yes, we need to verify education direct from the source so we need transcripts from the college or university where you obtained your degree.


3. What do I need to do to become licensed?


Please review the instruction checklist which can be found on our website, The instruction checklist will guide you in what forms you will need to fill out in order to become licensed. Should you have further questions please contact the board office at 605-642-1600.


4. If I received my ASHA certification or complete my CFY before my provisional license expires, do I need to apply for permanent licensure?


No, you can hold your provisional license until it expires, however, please be aware your provisional license does not automatically convert into a permanent license. You must make separate application for permanent licensure once the requirements of your postgraduate professional experience are met. Please allow at least one month for processing time.


5. How often will I need to renew my license? What is the renewal fee? What if I forget to renew my license can I still practice?


The renewal period is biennial. The renewal fee can be found in ARSD 20:79:02:03. All licenses expire on the first day of October of the second year succeeding the issuance of the license. Any person who submits a license renewal within 30 days after the expiration may be granted a license renewal. A license renewal submitted after 30 but within 180 days of expiration of the license must pay a late fee of $50 in addition to the license renewal fee. Licensees who fail to renew the license within 180 days from the expiration of the previous license will be required to reapply for licensure and all applicable fees will apply.


6. How many continuing education units (CEU’s) am I required to obtain? When and how often do I need to turn them in?


Per ARSD 20:79:02:05 all licensees are required to complete a minimum of 20 contact hours or 2.0 units of continuing education for each two-year renewal period. Send in copies of your certificates of attendance (or proof of attendance) with your renewal form (Please note that the board office will not accept certificates sent separate from the renewal form. All documents should be mailed together at the time of the renewal). Be sure to keep copies of all certificates of attendance for your own records.


7. Where can I obtain continuing education and what types of courses are acceptable?


Continuing education can be completed through the American Speech-Language Hearing-Association, ASHA approved providers, or formal education courses/presentations in which the objectives relate to the practice of Speech-Language Pathology. Please contact the board office if you want to get a course pre-approved for continuing education credit.

8. How do graduate credits transfer to CEUs? 


One quarter hour college coursework equals 10 contact hours of continuing education. One semester hour academic coursework equals 15 contact hours of continuing education.

9. Who do I contact if I have questions regarding licensure?


Please contact the South Dakota Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology at or by calling the office at 605-642-1600.


10. I am a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) how much supervision do I need?


Please refer to ARSD 20:79:04:03 to ensure all requirements are met. During the first 90 workdays the supervising Speech-Language Pathologist shall provide supervision for at least 30 percent of the time each week of which at least 20 percent must be direct supervision. The Board’s interpretation is as follows:  20% direct supervision of a 40 hour workweek would be 8 hours and 20% direct supervision of a 20 hour workweek would be 4 hours which is the minimal supervision at the discretion of the supervisor. After 90 days, the amount of supervision can be adjusted if the supervising Speech-Language Pathologist determines the Speech-Language Pathologist Assistant has met appropriate competencies and skill levels with a variety of communication and related disorders.  A supervising SLP must have at least three years of experience prior to supervising.

Tele-supervision: At the Board meeting on May 29, 2020, the Board agreed on a policy of allowing tele-supervision of the SLPA and adopted a broad definition of direct supervision as meaning under the auspices of the supervisor, even if the supervisor is not physically present.

11. How do I document my supervision as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant?


Please use the form on the Speech-Language Pathology website titled, “SLPA Supervision Log” to track your supervision each month. You will want to maintain this documentation and keep the log for your records in the event you need to supply proof of supervision to the board office.

12. As a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant what responsibilities am I restricted from doing?


Please refer to ARSD 20:79:04:01 and ARSD 20:79:04:02 to review the responsibilities that are considered within the scope and outside of the scope for Speech-Language Pathology Assistants.


13. As a Speech-Language Pathologist how many Speech-Language Pathology Assistants can I supervise?


You can supervise up to (3) Speech-Language Pathology Assistants at one time.

14. How will a new graduate obtain licensure when it can take up to two months for official transcripts to be issued?


A Provisional license may be issued to a new graduate if they meet licensure requirements.  For the education requirement, a letter from the institution verifying that the student has completed all requirements of the master’s degree will be acceptable until the official transcripts are available.  Within two months of receiving the Provisional license, official transcripts need to be submitted to the Board office.


15. How do I report unlicensed practice?


If you are aware of someone practicing as a SLP or SLPA that is not licensed please submit your complaint in writing to the Board office and they will investigate the individual. 

16. Once I have completed my first 90 workdays as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant following initial licensure, do I need to repeat the first 90 workday requirement for supervision when I change my supervisor or add a new supervisor to my license?


Per ARSD 20:79:04:03, it does require a SLPA to meet the supervision requirements as written with each new supervisor. Each assistant and supervisor are bound by the plain meaning of the statutes and rules. Each supervisor is responsible for each assistant they supervise. Each enters their own agreement before the board and in doing so, agrees to comply with all the terms and be bound by the rules. Therefore, if you switch supervisors or have multiple supervisors, each supervisor/supervisee must meet the full requirements.

17. Can I complete the 100 clock hour/clinical practicum requirement on the job for licensure as a SLPA?


A SLPA applicant can complete the 100 clock hour/clinical practicum requirement on the job pursuant to SDCL 36-37-18 (5): "Completes a supervised clinical practicum of a minimum of one hundred clock hours as a speech-language pathology assistant while either on the job or during academic preparation" The supervisor of this person must meet the requirements outlined in SDCL 36-37-20.

The SLPA applicant cannot represent themselves as a licensed assistant during this time nor can the supervising SLP hold the applicant undergoing the practicum to be a licensed assistant. When this requirement is met, it needs to be certified by completing the Verification of Completed Supervised Practicum (SLPA's) form as part of the license application.