Melissa Magstadt, South Dakota Secretary of Health

South Dakota Board of Nursing Facility Administrators

Frequently Asked Questions

All applications and documents can be found on the Applications/Documents section of this website.

What is a Certified Preceptor?

A Certified Preceptor is an individual that has met the applicable requirements as outlined in the Preceptor Application. If you are interested in becoming a Certified Preceptor please complete the Preceptor Application.  All applications can be found on our website on the Applications/Documents page.  This status must be renewed biennially.  You can find a list of Certified Preceptors on the home page

What does a Certified Preceptor do?

The primary role of a certified preceptor is that of a mentor who coaches, directs, and evaluates an Administrator-in-training (AIT) or an Emergency Permit Holder (EPH). A Certified Preceptor must sign a Preceptor Agreement with each AIT/EPH he or she agrees to mentor and must follow all applicable requirements, including monthly reporting to the Board.

What are my duties as a Certified Preceptor?

Administrator in Training (AIT): In consultation with the AIT, you will actively guide the individual through the program as outlined in the NAB Administrator in Training Domains of Practice Internship Manual. These manuals are available for a fee and can be ordered directly from Reports must be submitted to the Board monthly. The reporting forms can be found in the manual.

Emergency Permit Holders: An Emergency Permit Holder is under the direct supervision of a certified preceptor. Before an emergency permit will be issued, there must be an Emergency Permit Holder/Preceptor Agreement in place. Under this agreement, you are required to observe the emergency administrator at least two days a month in the facility in which the emergency administrator is serving and keep a written memorandum of what was accomplished or discussed at each visit.  You must retain the dated memorandum for one year following the date of expiration of the emergency permit. The agreement and forms can be found on our website on the Applications/Documents page.  

Do I need to complete an Administrator-in-Training (AIT) Program?

Please review the License Application.  This form includes all options for licensure, including the AIT program.

Do I need an Emergency Permit?

In order to fill an emergency need for a nursing facility administrator, a person authorized by the facility's board of directors or owner may apply for an emergency permit authorizing him or her to temporarily serve as a nursing facility administrator for no more than two six-month terms. The permit holder may or may not be an applicant for an administrator's license.

I am currently licensed in another state. How do I apply for licensure in South Dakota?

An applicant that holds a current license from another state can apply for a license in South Dakota by completing the Application for Reciprocal Licensure.  All applications can be found on our website on the Applications/Documents page.

When do I need to renew my license?  

Every person who holds a valid license as a nursing facility administrator issued by the board shall apply biennially by December 31 of even-numbered years to the board for a renewal of license. A licensee need not be actively practicing as a nursing facility administrator to be eligible to renew the license. However, a minimum of 40 clock hours of continuing education pertaining to health care or business administration is required biennially for renewal of license.