Melissa Magstadt, South Dakota Secretary of Health

South Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners

Frequently Asked Questions

Contained in the answers to some of these questions, references will be made to SDCL 36-5 or ARSD 20:41
SDCL 36-5 is the South Dakota codified law dealing with chiropractic and ARSD 20:41 is the Chapter of Administrative Rules of South Dakota which sets forth the Board of Chiropractic rules.  These statutes and rules may be referred to by clicking on the appropriate link.

When does the Board of Examiners meet?

The Board typically meets in March, June, September and December.  These meetings are open to the public.

How do I get a license in South Dakota?

Such person shall, at least fifteen days before the date fixed for the regular meeting of the board of chiropractic examiners, make a written application for examination to the executive director of the board, giving such information, verified by oath of applicant, as shall be required by said board.
(SDCL 36-5-10)

How do I obtain a South Dakota license if I am licensed in another state?  Does South Dakota offer reciprocity licensing?

The Board has recently approved licensure through reciprocity as long as the D.C. meets the following criteria:

Applicants must meet the following four criteria to be eligible for reciprocity application under the statutory and regulatory requirements of SDCL ARSD 20:41:05:05, those being:

  1. Applicant has passed all parts of national boards required at the time of graduation. If the applicant graduated after January 1998, the applicant must have passed all four parts of the national boards;
  2. Applicant has actively practiced a minimum of five years immediately preceding the submission of the application;
  3. Applicant has no investigations pending; and
  4. Applicant has no adverse actions taken by another state board.

Applications for reciprocity may be obtained by contacting Marcia Walter at 605-668-9017 or via this website.

How often are licensing examinations given?

Examinations are given at the Board meetings held in March, June, September and December.

Does the Board of Examiners require continuing education for licensure?

To maintain an active license, a member must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 40 hours of approved continuing education courses over a 2-year period. (ARSD 20:41:08:02

What is the annual active and inactive renewal fee?

The annual active license renewal fee is $100 and the inactive renewal fee is $50.  License renewal fees are due by December 31 of each year. (SDCL 36-5-14.1)

How do I file a complaint against a chiropractor?

Complaints concerning any licensed chiropractor or any area involving chiropractic services should be addressed in writing. Refer to complaint tab on website.