In order to maintain public health, contact tracing is a necessary tool that identifies people who have recently been in contact with someone who has contracted an infectious disease.
If someone tests positive for an infectious disease, they should be asked to give a list of people and places they’ve made contact with during the contagious stage of their illness.
The Department of Health will then contact anyone on this list to explain the situation and what their next steps should be. This could include quarantine. Here’s what you need to know about contact tracing and what a potential text message or email may look like.
- The South Dakota Department of Health will provide secure web-based questionnaires to aid in the contact tracing process.
- If you tested positive for an infectious disease, you may receive a health assessment questionnaire that asks about your health and those you may have been in close contact with.
- It is important to be forthcoming as the information gathered is vital to stopping the spread of disease.
- Meanwhile, the people you identified as close contacts may receive notification from the SD DOH asking about their health. They will also receive guidance on testing and treatment.
- Links to questionnaires will come via email or text message.
- Some individuals will receive a phone call if a mobile phone number or email address is not reported to the SD DOH.
Security and Safety Notes
- Contact tracing automated email assessments from the South Dakota Department of Health will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact tracers will NEVER ask for your social security number, bank information, or credit card number.
- Information gathered during the contact tracing process is confidential.
Email and Text Message Example
[insert DOH logo]
615 East 4th Street | Pierre, SD 57501 | P 605.773.3737 F 605.773.5509
The South Dakota Department of Health has important health information to share with you. You will be provided this health information within a secure portal and asked a series of questions. The information you provide is kept confidential and will help prevent the spread of illness to others. The total length of time to complete the questionnaire should be approximately 10 minutes.
To begin, follow this link: Survey Link
Note: This link will expire, however, we request you complete the survey within 24 hours of receipt.
Thank you, in advance, for providing the requested information to help us prevent additional illness in your community and in South Dakota.
Sincerely, South Dakota Department of Health Note: Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not being monitored. Follow the link to opt out of future emails: Click here to unsubscribe
The SD Dept of Health has important health info to share with you. Please complete the questionnaire in the link below: SURVEY LINK If you are unable to access the questionnaire please access the following link to submit a request to the SD Dept of Health. https://bit.ly/ DOHInquiry -SD Dept of Health (Select Language) Text STOP to opt-out