The Department of Health is the lead agency for emergency medical services (EMS) in South Dakota.
The EMS Program is responsible for:
- Improving access to quality emergency medical services in South Dakota
- Providing technical assistance to ambulance services and providers
- Partnering with industry stakeholders
- Collecting and reporting EMS data
- Licensing ambulance services
- Certifying EMRs and EMTs
- Approving BLS education for EMS providers
South Dakota EMS Laws & Regulations
Click the links below to view South Dakota Codified Law or Administrative Rule related to Emergency Medical Services:
- Ambulance Services SDCL 34-11 - Defines the licensing and regulation of ambulance services applicable to; license application, driver and attendant certification, trip records, and gives authority to promulgate rules pertaining to the operation of ambulance services, etc.
- Ambulance Districts SDCL 34-11A - Defines the process of establishing and maintaining an Ambulance District.
- EMS Laws SDCL 22-46-9 Defines mandatory reporting of abuse.
- SDCL 26-8A-3 - Persons required to report child abuse or neglected child.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Do Not Resuscitate Orders SDCL 34-12F - Defines terms and criteria for DNR Directives.
- ARSD 44:05 - Defines operational requirements of an ambulance service.
- ARSD 44:05:01 - Defines terms used in 44:05
- ARSD 44:05:02 - Fees and compliance with rules, expiration and renewal of licenses, revocation or suspension of license and license display.****
- ARSD 44:05:03 - Personnel Requirements - defines driver and attendant requirements, response times, ambulance inspections, and safety restraints.
- ARSD 44:05:04 - Vehicle Requirements - defines types of permitted vehicles, equipment and radio requirements, and disinfection and/or disposal requirements.
- ARSD 44:05:05 - Air Ambulances - defines the criteria and certificates for aircraft along with required equipment support equipment.
- ARSD 44:05:06 - Advanced directives regarding cardiopulmonary resuscitation, also known as Do Not Resuscitate orders.
Advanced Life Support
- South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners
- Advanced Life Support SDCL 36-4B - Defines licensing and regulation of Advanced Life Support applicable to educational programs, license applications, student status, permitted practices, immunity, and professional conduct; and gives authority to promulgate rules pertaining to advanced life support programs.
- ARSD 20:61 - Defines application process and content of Advanced Life Support (ALS) personnel.
- South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners Administrative rules - ARSD 20:78