Home health agencies (HHAs) provide skilled nursing services and at least one of the following other therapeutic services: physical therapy, speech-language pathology, occupational therapy, medical social services, or home health aide services in a place of residence used as a patient’s home. These services must follow a written plan of treatment established by each patient’s attending physician, in conjunction with agency staff and the patient.
Non-medical home health providers who provide in-home care such as bathing, light-duty housekeeping, or meal preparation are NOT regulated by the South Dakota Department of Health.
Consumer Home Health Hotline
Ask questions or file a complaint.
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT
Home Health Regulations
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) home health regulations:
- State Operational Manual for Home Health Agencies
- South Dakota does not require state licensure for certified HHAs.
Home Health Resources
- The Medicare enrollment application (form CMS-855A) must be completed and submitted according to the directions provided on the form.
- The Medicare fee-for-service contractor for South Dakota is CGS Administrators, LLC. Their website contains information for accurate completion of the CMS 855A and has a link for hospice providers. Learn more
- Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Clearance: Assurance of Compliance portal.
- Health Insurance Benefit Agreement
- Home Health Agency Survey Report
- Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS). The Home Health OASIS is a standardized data set that measures quality and outcomes.
- SD Association of Healthcare Organizations (SDAHO)
- Compare Home Health Providers
- South Dakota Department of Social Services: Medicaid Eligibility
- To begin the Medicaid enrollment process to receive Medicaid reimbursement, please contact Provider Enrollment at 1-866-718-0084.