Find information on emergency medical services (EMS) in South Dakota, including licensing and certification requirements, BLS education, and additional EMS and trauma resources.
The EMS and Trauma Program is dedicated to improving access to quality emergency medical services throughout South Dakota. Browse resources and feel free to contact EMS and trauma representatives with any questions.
The EMS and Trauma Program is responsible for:
- Providing technical assistance to ambulance services and providers
- Partnering with industry stakeholders
- Collecting and reporting EMS data
- Licensing ambulance services
- Certifying Emergency Medical Responders and Emergency Medical Technicians
- Approving BLS education for EMS providers
Emergency Medical Services
The South Dakota Department of Health has announced a new grant opportunity, funded by the American Rescue Plan Act, aimed at supporting Emergency Medical Services (EMS) across the state. This initiative, stemming from the Regional Services Designation analysis of 2023, offers $7.5 million for EMS providers to enhance their services.