The South Dakota Department of Health received a grant through a cooperative agreement (CDC-RFA- EH21-2102) from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for the South Dakota Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (SD CLPPP). As part of the funding, the Department of Health created a Lead Advisory Group to provide support and feedback on lead prevention, screening/testing, and follow-up of South Dakota children.
Advisory Group Members
Ashley Lauing, Policy Strategy Manager – Department of Social Services
Kelly Thomas, Laboratorian – Indian Health Service
Mark Mayer, Engineering Manager – Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Matt Cerny, Program Analyst – US Department of Housing and Urban Development
Rea Riggle, Environmental Coordinator – South Dakota Department of Health
Rochelle Boote, MD – American Academy of Pediatrics (SD Chapter)
Tim Jurgens, Director – LSS Center for New Americans
Group Activities and Goals
- Assist in creating statewide recommendations for blood lead testing based on local data.
- Advise on development of an appropriate statewide screening and testing plan based on local data.
- Advise on development of an appropriate statewide plan to link children with elevated blood lead levels to recommended services.
- Help develop any educational material needed for care providers on screening, testing, and referrals.
- Review data and make changes to screening/testing or referral plan as needed.
- Improve screening and testing programs for blood lead in children.
- Improve referral process for services for children with elevated blood lead levels.