The South Dakota Department of Health, Office of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification, has funding available to support skilled nursing and long-term care facilities with recruitment and retention opportunities to enhance infection prevention infrastructure necessary to support resident, visitor, and facility healthcare personnel safety.
The South Dakota Department of Health (SDDOH) received $2.5 million to support the "Nursing Home & Long-term Care Facility Strike Team and Infrastructure Project" awarded through CDC's Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity (ELC) Cooperative Agreement (CK19-1904).
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Nursing Facilities
- Assisted Living Centers
Allowable use of funds:
- Personnel (term, temporary, students, overtime, contract staff, etc.): This includes, but is not limited to, facility non-clinical staff (e.g., to assist with Activities of Daily Living); and/or facility clinical staff (e.g., nurses, doctors) necessary to achieve activities in this guidance.
- May direct funding to support personnel, including clinical services support, as part of an overall LTC settings staffing and infrastructure plan.
- Recipients should consider ways to incentivize recruitment and retention of all staff, including, for example, salary increases, bonuses, and upgrading from part-time to full-time positions, etc.
- Build or expand resources available to support existing staff in facilities
- Develop professional development/scholarship opportunities
- Establish mental health and counseling services for staff
Funds may not be used for the following activities:
- Mental health services for Long-term Care residents
- Loan forgiveness
- These funds are not retroactive, so they cannot be used for past expenses;
- There would be no agreement established in good faith before the costs were incurred or services rendered;
- While covering certification programs and other professional development opportunities are customary under ELC, paying for full education programs/degrees is not in scope.
Facilities may apply for an award of up to $20,000. Funding will be first come, first serve and will be monitored throughout the funding period with the potential opportunity to announce additional funding dependent on interest. Applications will be reviewed promptly after the application period closes. Upon SDDOH approval, the SDDOH will contact the applicant and begin initiating contracts.
Additionally, if the SDDOH needs additional information to approve the facility's request, the SDDOH will contact the applicant. No pre-award costs will be eligible for reimbursement. Completion of activities is subject to the scope of what is being proposed.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 5:00 PM CT on April 15, 2023.
- Application Opens March 15, 2023
- Application Closes 5:00 PM CT on April 15, 2023
- End of Funding Period: May 10, 2024
How to Submit an Application: Send the completed application form and required attachments (see below) to DOHLTCTeam@state.sd.us. Please indicate in the subject line: "Long Term Care Facility Strike Team and Infrastructure Project"
Application Checklist: The following documents should be provided to ensure your application is received as complete.
- Completed, signed Application Form
- Completed Budget