Board Meeting Minutes
Friday, March 21, 2014, 12:00 Noon
Rapid City Regional Hospital, Ron Trautman Room (Main Campus)
Members Present: Lisa Rave, Diane Dady, and Lenny Petrik;
Member Present by Phone: Jeff Nielsen
Member Excused: Arlene Ham-Burr
Staff Present: Executive Director Randy Jones, Inspectors Gary Karel and Paula Stotz, Senior Secretary Rita Schulz
Others Present: Lynn Greff, SDPhA; Shannon Gutzmer, SDPhA; Sue Schaefer, SDPhA; Wendy Jensen Bender, SDSU College of Pharmacy; Carrie Hesper, Rapid City Regional Hospital Pharmacy
The meeting was called to order by Lisa Rave at 12:00 noon with introductions of Board members, staff, and others in attendance.
Diane Dady moved for approval of the December 6, 2013 meeting minutes. Seconded by Lenny Petrik. Motion carried.
B. Financial Report
The Board Financial Report was reviewed and approved. Executive Director Randy Jones provided an overview and highlighted remaining balance. FileDirector software was purchased to move our records into an electronic system.
C. Staff Reports
Director Jones reported the vacancy left from the passing of Ron Johnson has not been filled. At this time the 0.25 FTE will remain until the vacancy is filled.
Inspector: Paula Stotz
Inspector: Gary Karel
|Statistical Reports - Licensing activities were reviewed and discussion followed.|
D. Approvals – The following approvals were reported by Director Jones.
- Lewis Family Drug; Chamberlain – Credit Return of UD from LTC
- Omnicare of South Dakota – Credit Return of UD from LTC
- Bon Homme Pharmacy; Tyndall – Credit Return of UD from LTC
- Brothers Pharmacy; Brookings – Credit Return of UD from LTC
E. Variances – Variances were reviewed and discussion followed.
- Ameripharm / MedVantx; Sioux Falls – Offsite Storage (renewal)
- Lewis LTC Pharmacy; Sioux Falls – E-Kit at Minnehaha Col. Jail (renewal)
- Diamond Pharmacy Services; Indiana PA – E-Kit at Minnehaha Co. Jail
- Wal-Mart Pharmacy, Stummer Rd; Rapid City – 3:1 Technician Ratio
Wal-Mart Pharmacy; LaCrosse Ave; Rapid City – 3:1 Technician Ratio
Wal-Mart Pharmacy; Yankton – 3:1 Technician to Pharmacist Ratio
F. Complaints, Investigations, Disciplinary Actions, Loss / Theft Reports – Explanation of Complaint was provided and discussion followed.
- Murdy Pharmacy; Aberdeen – Loss / Theft Report (2nd in 3 weeks)
- Walgreen’s Pharmacy; Mitchell – Loss / Theft Report
- Lewis West Gate; Sioux Falls – Loss / Theft Report
- Black Hills Urgent Care – Loss / Theft
G. SD Pharmacy Association – Sue Schaefer
|Activity Report - Sue reported on the following:|
|Financial Report – Sue provided an overview of the financial report and noted a change in report documentation.|
H. Other Reports
SDSU College of Pharmacy – Wendy Jensen Bender
- Admission process has been completed. 68 of 80 applicants were offered into the Pharm D program. 200 applicants applied with an ACT average of 27, and a GPA average of 3.75.
- SDSU / USD will be offering a Master’s in Public Health. Courses start academic year 2014- 2015.
- Dr. Teresa Seefeldt received the Edward Patrick Hogan Award for Teaching Excellence.
- Dr. Debra Farver was the recipient of the College of Pharmacy Outstanding Scholar Award for her work in the area of interprofessional education.
- Recruitment went well.
- ACPE Self Evaluation is underway and the visitation is scheduled for October, 2014.
SD Society of Health System Pharmacists – Kelley Oehlke provided written information of the upcoming SDSHP Annual Meeting in Sioux Falls April 11 & 12, 2014.
SD Association of Pharmacy Technicians – no report
HPAP Update – Discussion was held and Director Jones will gather information and further
discussion will be held at the next meeting.
I. Old Business
- USP / NF <797>; Sterile Compounding Legislative Update – Discussion was held and Director Jones will provide further information as NABP is currently working on this.
J. New Business
- Carrie Hesper, Rapid City Regional Hospital Pharmacy, provided a presentation on Check-Tech-Check. Discussion was held following the presentation.
Diane Dady made a motion to grant a Technician Tech Check variance to Rapid City Regional Hospital Pharmacy. Motion was seconded by Lenny Petrik. The motion was objected by Jeff Nielsen.
- Technician to Pharmacist Ratio – Discussion was held on the ratio. Following discussion, Director Jones will contact individuals to present outcomes from changes in Technician to Pharmacist Ratio at the next meeting.
- Continuing Education Requirements – Discussion was held regarding changes in Continuing Education for Pharmacists. Further discussion will be held at the next meeting.
K. Other Business
- Prescription Drug Monitoring Program updates – Director Jones reviewed the handout on the program and gave updates.
- Board Meeting Dates for 2014
- March 21st – Rapid City
- June 13th – Sioux Falls – Sanford Research Institute
- September 18th – Chamberlain
- December 5th – Sioux Falls
L. Other Meetings
- SDSHP Annual Meeting – April 11 & 12, Sioux Falls
- NABP Annual Meeting – May 17th-20th, Phoenix, AZ (attending: Lisa Rave, Lenny Petrik, and Diane Dady)
- District V NABP / AACP – August 2014; South Dakota – dates are August 14 – 16, 2014 at The Lodge in Deadwood, Deadwood, SD.
- SDPHA Annual Meeting – September 19 & 20; Chamberlain
Adjourn – Diane Dady moved to adjourn the meeting, Seconded by Lenny Petrik. Motion carried, meeting adjourned.