Continuing Education Guidelines
A minimum of 40 hours of continuing education pertaining to health care, healthcare administration or business administration is required biennially for renewal of license. The Board does not limit the number of online courses that a licensee can take. The following continuing education courses are accepted by the South Dakota Board of Nursing Facility Administrators:
Academic courses pertaining to health care, healthcare administration or business administration offered through a higher education institution accredited by and organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- The Board will accept program approve or provided by:
- Other state licensing boards for nursing facility administrators
- National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA)
- American Health Care Association (AHCA) and State Affiliates
- American Hospice Foundation
- American Hospital Association (AHA) and State Affiliates
- American Medical Directors Association
- Catholic Health Association
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Leading Age (formerly AAHSA) and State Affiliates
- National Rural Health Association
- Systems of care that operate South Dakota nursing home facilities (such as Avera. Sanford, Welcov, Ev. Good Samaritan Society, Tealwood, Golden Living, Rapid City Regional Health).
The Board does not accept courses specific to your facility's computer programs and/or software.