Guidelines for Hearing Aid Dispenser Applicants by Examination
Examinations are administered by members of the Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Audiologists. Examinations are prepared by the International Hearing Society requiring a passing recommendation on the written portion. A practical test of proficiency will be conducted by the board using the enclosed guidelines.
It is the duty of the applicant to secure a sponsor who will train and guide the applicant, using the following guidelines:
- Completion of the Training Manual for Professionals is suggested. Please allow sufficient time to take the course, as each section must be mailed to National for grading.
- Applicants must have a thorough understanding of the FDA hearing aid regulations and the IHS Code of Ethics and be able to apply them as required.
- Applicants are graded on sanitary habits and proper sterilization of equipment.
- Applicants must be familiar with the audiometer in use, and all its functions. A full audiogram will be done (Aid Conduction, Bone Conduction, Masking, Speech Reception Threshold, Discrimination, Most Comfortable Level, Uncomfortable Level-Threshold). Applicant must be able to define and interpret conductive, mixed and sensorineural types of hearing loss from audiogram examples.
All examinations are administered in conjunction with the South Dakota Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Audiologists' board meetings.
South Dakota Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Audiologists forms are available in ADOBE.PDF format (Portable Document Format) which is both device and resolution independent. The printed version of these PDF documents will be similar regardless of the device used to print. In order to view or print the Adobe Acrobat forms, you must download the free ADOBE Acrobat Reader for Windows, DOS or for Macintosh.
It is best to e-mail your request for an application to the Board office. Many forms are color-coded and we prefer to mail you the most accurate, up-to-date forms.
Hearing Aid Dispensers
- Application for License to Practice the Fitting and Sale of Hearing Aids
- Verification of Hearing Aid Dispenser's Licensure in Other State
- Statement of Provisional Hearing Aid Dispenser Licensee's Supervision
- Sponsor's Affidavit
- Renewal Application