June 12, 2012
Ramkota Inn, Pierre
Present: Jim Carlon, Linda Zeller, Rebecca Dykema, Karen Kappel, Laura Woitte, Steve Blair, and Joyce Vos
Guests: Rhanda Heller, Bridget Myers, Gene Heller, Cami Bishop, and Susan Craig
The meeting was called to order at 9:15am. M/S/P Woitte/Zeller to move into Executive Session pursuant to SDCL 1-25-2(3).
M/S/P Kappel/Woitte to move into General Session at 1:01pm.
M/S/P Zeller/Woitte in case #2012-06 to accept the recommendation of the Ass’t AG that a private reprimand be issued and that the board president be able to sign the settlement upon acceptance of the parties.
M/S/P Woitte/Kappel in cases #2011-16 and 2012-01 to accept the recommendation of the Ass’t AG, that a private reprimand be issued, the board president be able to sign the settlement upon acceptance of the parties, and that no students be enrolled until the school is accredited.
M/S/P Zeller/Woitte in case #2011-12 to accept the recommendation of the Ass’t AG, that a private reprimand be issued, and that the board president be able to sign the settlement upon acceptance of the parties.
M/S/P Kappel/Woitte in case #2012-07 to deny the current application and allow the applicant to re-apply immediately.
1. In case #2012-05 the Board’s legal counsel read the Findings of Facts, Conclusions of Law, and Order for the record. President Dykema signed the documents which will be mailed to Craig.
2. M/S/P Woitte/Zeller to approve the April 30, 2012 Minutes as presented.
3. Staff will add the information regarding the approved SD schools and national accreditations from Administrative Rules to the licensing link on the board’s website. According to legal counsel, a school with an accrediting body not included in Rule would have to apply to be recognized by the board. Approving ABHES was tabled until the board can see the school’s application.
4. In accordance with the language of SDCL36-35-15, an out-of-state licensed applicant cannot be issued a SD license unless the other State grants reciprocity to SD.
5. The resignation of board member Twyla Fritz was noted. Staff was instructed to post a search for a West River candidate for board consideration on the website with a Sept 1, 2012 deadline and let the current interested party know this decision.
7. The lists of new, expired, and inactive licensees were reviewed and it was noted that fewer licenses were expiring.
6. President Dykema called on those in attendance at the meeting and indicated that the public was invited to provide comment. All four members of the public still in attendance at the meeting indicated their desire to address the Board. The Board heard comments from Susan Craig, Bridget Meyers and Rhanda Heller. Gene Heller withdrew his request to address the Board when he was called on.
Susan Craig addressed her recently denied application for licensure, and her intentions with regard to a new application for licensure. Bridget Meyers discussed a number of issues including gift card requirements, sales tax, the Board’s website, recognition of schools, continuing education and mailing lists being made available. Rhanda Heller addressed a number of issues including the Board’s website, the grandfather clause amendment, civil penalties, content of the Board minutes, and mailing lists being made available.
The Board thanked Craig, Meyers, and Heller for their comments and for the information they provided for Board consideration. Staff provided information concerning the Board’s current practices regarding providing mailing lists/labels to bona fide continuing education providers, and that the Board’s does not release email address or phone numbers.
M/S/P Zeller/Woitte to adjourn the meeting at 2:17pm.