Kim Malsam-Rysdon, Secretary of Health

Get a Controlled Substance Registration

Contents: | How to get registered | Federal Drug Enforcement Agency Registration | Suspension of registration | US Drug Enforcement Agency


Effective July 1, 2017, SD law required the following prescriber roles with a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration (SD CSR) to register with the South Dakota Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (SD PDMP): MD, DO, DMD/DDS, OD, DPM, PA, CNP, and CNM.

To complete this legal requirement after receiving your SD CSR visit You may also visit the SD PDMP’s web page at to access a quick user guide for account registration and a user support guide. Questions on the SD PDMP may be emailed to or call 605-362-2737. **Please note that if you already have an active SD PDMP account, no further action is required to be compliant with this SD law.**

Who Needs a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration

Practitioners listed below who dispense, administer, or prescribe controlled substances in South Dakota must have a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration and federal Drug Enforcement Administration registration. Entities listed below who manufacture, use or distribute controlled substances in South Dakota must also have a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration.

  • Physician
  • Veterinarian
  • Optometrist*
  • Nurse Practitioner**
  • Osteopathic Physician
  • Pharmacy***
  • Podiatrist
  • Dentist
  • Certified Nurse
  • Physician Assistant**
  • Manufacturer
  • Analytical Lab
  • Teaching Institution
  • Distributor
  • Animal Euthanasia
  • Researcher


*(South Dakota Codified Law) SDCL 36-7-1 limits optometrists to oral analgesics. This includes Schedule II Narcotic, Schedule III Narcotic, and Schedule IV.

**SDCL 36-9A (nurse practitioners) and SDCL 36-4A (physician assistants) grant specific prescriptive authority for controlled substances.

***Hospitals must have a licensed pharmacy (return to contents)

Online Registration Starting July 1, 2019

The South Dakota Department of Health is pleased to announce beginning on July 1, 2019, all new applications and renewal registrations, verifications, and changes to an existing registration, will be completed online with the South Dakota Department of Health’s new registration system at Paper applications and checks will no longer be accepted. Payment must be made using Mastercard or Visa credit and debit cards or a State Non-cash Voucher.

Information will be provided on the South Dakota Department of Health’s controlled substance website at and will outline all the information needed for the online process. When submitting an application, please be sure to have all of your information is ready, includ­ing any supporting documents needing to be uploaded, such as a copy of the updated federal DEA certificate. After the application has been submitted and the payment has been made, the Department will review the ap­plication, email the registrant if additional information is needed, approve or deny the application, or pend the application until we receive the new DEA number.

After July 1st, you can log in at any time to view the application status or print registration. Controlled substance registration certificates or letters will no longer be mailed. Any controlled substance registration can also now be a primary source verified on the website at

How to Get a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration before July 1, 2019

  1. Download the appropriate controlled substance registration application.

  2. Complete the application and return it to the above address. See the instructions on the application form to determine the appropriate fee amount.

  3. New practitioners applying for a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration in addition to a new Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration can expect the process to take a minimum of six weeks.

  4. If you are moving your South Dakota practice location to another location in the state, you must notify the South Dakota Department of Health and the DEA prior to change of address. Change of address forms are available from the Department. (ARSD 44:58:06:02) Events causing automatic suspension of registration. The registration of a person is automatically suspended if the person fails to maintain the person's professional license, fails to maintain DEA registration in South Dakota, discontinues professional practice within South Dakota, or changes name or address without notifying the secretary. A practitioner who moves to a new location must request a modification of their registration.)

  5. If you are moving a federal DEA registration to South Dakota from another state, you must obtain a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration and a valid South Dakota professional license. Registrant must also notify the DEA of the address change.

  6. Locum tenens practitioners registered in another state may obtain a locum tenens controlled substance registration, good for 60 days, based on their DEA registration from the state where they are licensed to practice.

    Request an application by e-mailing Bob Coolidge


    Request an application by writing to
    Bob Coolidge, R.Ph.
    South Dakota Department of Health
    Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure & Certification
    615 E. 4th Street
    Pierre, SD 57501-1700

Federal Drug Enforcement Administration Registration

Contact the federal Drug Enforcement Administration at 888-803-1179 for registration fees and application information for a DEA Controlled Substances Registration. (return to contents)

Suspension of a South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration

A South Dakota Controlled Substance Registration will be automatically suspended if the holder:

  • fails to maintain the appropriate professional license

  • fails to maintain DEA registration in South Dakota

  • discontinues professional practice in South Dakota changes name/ address without notifying the South Dakota Department of Health

U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency - Electronic Prescriptions for Controlled Substances

DEA Agent Supervising South Dakota:
Sarah Boblenz (515) 284-6644

Federal DEA Alert

Renewal Applications Online


Starting January 2017, DEA will no longer send its second renewal notification by mail. Instead, an electronic reminder to renew will be sent to the email address associated with the DEA registration. At this time, DEA will otherwise retain its current policy and procedures with respect to renewal and reinstatement of registration. This policy is as follows:

  • If a renewal application is submitted in a timely manner prior to expiration, the registrant may continue operations, authorized by the registration, beyond the expiration date until final action is taken on the application.

  • DEA allows the reinstatement of an expired registration for one calendar month after the expiration date. If the registration is not renewed within that calendar month, an application for a new DEA registration will be required.

Did You Know?

43 states have reported deadly counterfeit pills made with fentanyl?
Read more:

South Dakota Opioid Resource Hotline:


Share via: