The mission of the Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program is to improve cardiovascular health, reduce the burden, and eliminate disparities associated with heart disease and stroke. Through a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) called Improving the Health of Americans Through Prevention and Management of Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Stroke, the program focuses on:
- Promoting the adoption of evidence-based quality measurement at the provider level
- Supporting engagement of non-physician team members in hypertension and cholesterol management in clinic settings
- Promoting the adoption of medication therapy management between pharmacists and physicians for the purpose of managing high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and lifestyle modifications
- Developing a statewide infrastructure to promote sustainability for community health workers to promote management of hypertension and high blood cholesterol
- Facilitating use of self-measured blood pressure monitoring with clinical support among adults with hypertension
- Implementing systems to facilitate systematic referral of adults with hypertension and/or high blood cholesterol to community programs/resources
South Dakota Cardiovascular Collaborative Strategic Plan 2022-2026
Since 2017, the South Dakota Cardiovascular Collaborative has been working to improve the quality of life for all through prevention and management of cardiovascular disease and its associated risk factors. Click on the plan below to view the strategic plan narrative, including background and the process for development. Click the one-pager for the shortened version of the strategic plan.
- Cardiovascular Collaborative Strategic Plan Overview
- Cardiovascular Collaborative Strategic Plan One-Pager
Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program
South Dakota Department of Health
4101 West 38th St., Suite 102
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
The Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program is reflected in the South Dakota Department of Health Strategic Plan 2020-2025 - the vision is "Every South Dakotan Healthy and Strong"