Only medication aides in a skilled nursing facility (SNF), assisted living center (ALC), or hospital are registered by the Board. Employment hours in one of these settings is required to renew registration; if you do not have employment hours, your UMA registration will be placed on inactive status.
Find information on medication aides in other settings.
Registrants may renew 90 days or less prior to expiration:
- Must have a minimum of 12 hours of employment as a medication aide in a SNF, ALC, or hospital within the preceding 2 years.
- If an individual does not have required hours, the individual must retrain, retest, and apply for initial registration.
- Must submit the online UMA Renewal Application;
- After review and approval by the Board, the UMA registry will be updated;
- Applicants will not be sent a renewal card; cards may be printed from the Verification Site.
A lapsed registration is not active and must be reinstated.
Nurses in a skilled nursing facility, assisted living center, or hospital cannot delegate medication administration tasks to a UMA who has a lapsed or inactive status.