Find CNA training requirements, including program length, selecting program coordinators and instructors, creating a curriculum, and submitting an application.
All training programs must be approved by the Board of Nursing and be at least 75 hours long.
Select a Program Coordinator (ARSD 44:74:02:10) Must be an RN who has at least two years of nursing experience, with at least one year in the provision of long-term care services. The Program Coordinator maintains ultimate responsibility for ensuring the NATP meets all requirements listed in ARSD 44:74:02.
Select Primary Instructor(s) (ARSD 44:74:02:11) Primary instructors teach the course material. They must:
- Be licensed RNs or LPNs who have a minimum of two years of nursing experience, at least one year in the provision of long-term care services;
- Have completed a course of instruction in teaching adults or experience in teaching adults in the last five years.
- Not be the DON.
Select Supplemental Instructor(s) (optional) (ARSD 44:74:02:12) Supplemental instructors may be used to assist with instruction; they must have at least one year of experience in their respective field of practice
Provide 75 hours of Program Instruction:
A. Didactic Portion of Program: Select curriculum to teach didactic content (ARSD 44:74:02:15)
The Program Coordinator is accountable to select a curriculum(s) from the following list and to ensure all program content is taught. The following areas are required: basic nursing skills, personal care skills, mental health, and social services, basic restorative nursing services, and residents’ rights.
- How To Be a Nurse Assistant Blended/Online Training Program
- Avera Education & Staffing Solutions (AESS) Online Curriculum
- We Care Online
- American Health Care Association - How to be a Nurse Assistant 5th Edition, 6th Edition, 7th Edition
- Hartman's Nursing Assistant Care
- Long Term Care and Home Care, 3rd Edition, 4th Edition
- The Basics, 4th Edition, 5th Edition
- Long Term Care, 3rd Edition, 4th Edition, 5th Edition
- Hartman’s Nursing Assisting: A Foundation in Caregiving, 5th Edition
- Medcom, Inc - The New Nursing Assistant, 8th Edition
- Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants
- Mosby’s Textbook for Long-Term Care Nursing Assistants
- Mosby’s Textbook for Nursing Assistants 10th Edition
- The Nursing Assistant: Essentials of Holistic Care
- The Nursing Assistant: Acute, Subacute, and Long-Term Care, 6th Edition
B. Lab/Clinical Portion of Program: Must be at least 16 hours in length. The instructor-to-student ratio may not be less than one instructor for 8 students in the clinical setting. Students may only perform patient services under the supervision of a licensed nurse.
Following application submission, you will receive an email notice of approval from the SDBON. Once approved your program will be listed on the SDBON’s website.
Program reapproval must be requested every two years. Your agency must maintain a 75% pass rate of students on the competency evaluation to maintain approval.