Any person who believes a nurse or UMA has committed a violation is encouraged to report the situation to the South Dakota Board of Nursing.

File a Complaint Against a Nurse

File a Complaint Against an UMA

File a Complaint Against a CNA

Submit complaints against Certified Nurse Aides (CNA) to the SD Department of Health.

Submit a Complaint

Complete and submit the Complaint Form; or send an email to the SDBON Compliance Director with responses to the questions asked on the form. After submission, the Board will contact you to acknowledge receipt. Please be aware that the investigative process and final outcome by the Board may take several weeks or months to complete. As the complainant, you will be notified of final actions taken by the Board.

Fill Out a Complaint Form

Grounds for Disciplinary Action

The SDBON may take disciplinary or corrective action against a nurse (LPN, RN, CNM, CNP, CRNA, or CNS) or an unlicensed medication aide (UMA) registrant when there is sufficient evidence and proof to support that the licensee or registrant violated one of the grounds listed in SDCL 36-9-49 or ARSD 20:48:16:04.

Learn About Disciplinary Actions

Mandatory Reporting

South Dakota law requires nurses and other health care employees or facilities to report knowledge or reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect of elders, adults with disabilities, or minors to the SD Department of Social Services.