Melissa Magstadt, South Dakota Secretary of Health

Food Service Licensing

Step 1 — Complete the Food Service Licensing Packet

Download following materials or call the Office of Health Protection at 605-773-4945 to request the packet:

NOTE: If you need a food service license for a temporary event, use the Temporary Food Services Application and refer to Food Safety at Temporary Events.

Step 2 — Meet Requirements

A. South Dakota Codified Law 34-18-23 requires establishments to notify the Department of any construction or alteration projects.

  • 30 days before construction starts, submit detailed floor plan of food service kitchen to Office of Health Protection. Layout plans must be stamped by a professional engineer or architect for facilities larger than 4,000 square feet..
  • Submit completed Plan Review Questionnaire and floor plan to:
    SD Department of Health - Office of Health Protection - 600 E. Capitol - Pierre, SD - 57501-2536

B. If the establishment uses private sewer or water systems, they must be approved by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, 605-773-3351.

C. Complete, notarize, and submit the license / registration application with correct fee 30 days before completion of construction to:

  • SD Department of Health - Office of Health Protection - 600 E. Capitol - Pierre, SD - 57501-2536

D. ARSD 44:02:07:03 requires food service establishments to have a certified food service manager. | scheduled Certified Food Service Manager courses

Step 3 — Department of Health Review

A. Department staff review the layout plan and plan review questionnaire.

B. Department sends written notification regarding approval or changes required.

C. Department approves plan  once all areas of plan comply with ARSD 44:02:07 (Food Service Code).

Step 4 State Inspection

During the construction process and before business opening, Department conducts onsite inspection to determine compliance with administrative rules.

Step 5 8212; Approval for Licensing

Department of Health issues food service license once license application is made, plan review completed, final inspection made, and Certified Food Service course completed.

Additional Information Links

Governor's Office of Economic Development, Business Start-Up information
South Dakota State Plumbing Commission
South Dakota State Electrical Commission
South Dakota Department of Revenue
Scheduled Certified Food Service Manager Courses

Share via: