Food Service Licensing
Step 1 — Complete the Food Service Licensing Packet
Download following materials or call the Office of Health Protection at 605-773-4945 to request the packet:
- Food Service Establishments Health and Safety Manual - Administrative Rules of South Dakota 44:02:07 (Food Service Code)
- License Application
- Food Service Plan Review Questionnaire
- Food Service Establishment Guidelines
- Sample Kitchen Layout
- Prep Sinks with Air Breaks Illustration
- Mobile Food Service Plan Review Questionnaire | Requirements
- Sample Mobile Floor Plan
- Fact sheets for Food Safety Establishments
A. South Dakota Codified Law 34-18-23 requires establishments to notify the Department of any construction or alteration projects.
- 30 days before construction starts, submit detailed floor plan of food service kitchen to Office of Health Protection. Layout plans must be stamped by a professional engineer or architect for facilities larger than 4,000 square feet..
- Submit completed Plan Review Questionnaire and floor plan to:
SD Department of Health - Office of Health Protection - 600 E. Capitol - Pierre, SD - 57501-2536
B. If the establishment uses private sewer or water systems, they must be approved by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, 605-773-3351.
C. Complete, notarize, and submit the license / registration application with correct fee 30 days before completion of construction to:
- SD Department of Health -
Office of Health Protection -
600 E. Capitol -
Pierre, SD - 57501-2536
A. Department staff review the layout plan and plan review questionnaire.
B. Department sends written notification regarding approval or changes required.
C. Department approves plan once all areas of plan comply with ARSD 44:02:07 (Food Service Code).
Questions? Contact a Health Protection Advisor in your region.
During the construction process and before business opening, Department conducts onsite inspection to determine compliance with administrative rules.
Department of Health issues food service license once license application is made, plan review completed, final inspection made, and Certified Food Service course completed.
Governor's Office of Economic Development, Business Start-Up information
South Dakota Plumbing Commission
South Dakota Electrical Commission
South Dakota Department of Revenue
Scheduled Certified Food Service Manager Courses