Certified Nurse Aide
Registry status implies only that an unlicensed individual has met the minimal training and testing requirements necessary to accept delegated tasks by a licensed nurse while under a nurse's supervision. Registry status does not imply that an individual has met moral, ethical, or legal standards. The registry should not take the place of an employer's hiring screening process or background check.
Questions: Lois Steensma
Print CNA Registration Card - The South Dakota Board of Nursing does not print or mail out CNA registration cards. You may verify your CNA status and/or print your own card any time.
CNA TESTING: Contact South Dakota Health Care Association
CNA ENDORSEMENT / RECIPROCITY
- Endorsement (aka Reciprocity) - An individual who is registered as a CNA in another state and wishes to be included on the South Dakota CNA Registry:
- If you are a registered CNA in South Dakota and wish to become a CNA in another state, please contact the registry in that state for instructions.
Print the Endorsement Application, fill out the top half of the application, and then mail the application to the registry in the state where you were first registered as a CNA - List of State CNA Registries
CNA WAIVER OF TRAINING / EQUIVALENCY OF TRAINING
- A student enrolled in a nursing education program that has been approved by the South Dakota Board of Nursing who has successfully completed specific fundamentals in nursing course(s) may apply for Waiver of the 75-hour nurse aide training. If the Waiver of CNA training is granted, the applicant will be permitted to take the CNA written evaluation and the manual skills exams.
- Individuals who have been educated / practiced in other healthcare fields
- CNA Online Renewal - If your CNA registration has lapsed, you must complete and submit a Paper Renewal & Employment Verification
- You must be able to demonstrate that you have worked as a CNA during the previous two years to renew registration online.
- You may renew your CNA registration online as early as 90 days prior to expiration.
- A paper card will not be mailed to you; you may print and/or save your card when you have completed the renewal process.
- Paper Renewal & Employment Verification
- If lapsed less than two years, you must be able to provide verification of employment as a CNA within the past two years.
- If lapsed more than two years, plese contact Stephanie Orth for a determination as to whether you must retrain and/or retest.
CNA CONTACT INFORMATION CHANGE
CNA NAME CHANGE
CNA TRAINING PROGRAMS
Questions: Stephanie Orth
CNA Training Program Approved Curricula
- American Health Care Association - How to be a Nurse Assistant
- Hartman's Nursing Assistant Care - Long Term Care and Home Care, 3rd Edition
- Hartman's Nursing Assistant Care - The Basics, 4th Edition
- Medcom, Inc - The New Nursing Assistant, 8th Edition
- Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants
- Nebraska Health Care Association
- We Care Online
Process for use of American Red Cross Nurse Aide Training Curriculum (flow diagram)
Course of Instruction in Teaching Adults / Train the Trainer Program