Office of Health Facilities Licensure & Certification
This office surveys, licenses and recommends federal certification for health care facilities. Its goal is to ensure state health and safety standards are met and also federal standards if the facility is a Medicaid or Medicare provider.
- Subscribe to Licensure and Certification listserv | Subscribe to CLIA listserv | Subscribe to Rural Health Clinic listserv
- 2016 Holiday Decorations in Health Care Facilities
- Update process for Assisted Living Center Rules - public comment opportunity
- Partnership News and Best Practice newsletter - November 2016 | August 2016| May 2016 | February 2016 | November 2015 | August 2015
Note to providers:
Pursuant to the March 22, 2013 CMS Survey & Certification Memo, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) may impose civil money penalties (CMPs) on nursing homes in South Dakota when serious deficiencies are identified. At this time, the Department of Health does not intend to begin recommending CMPs to the CMS Region VIII Office. However, this will not preclude CMS from imposing CMPs directly on South Dakota nursing facilities. DOH will closely monitor the situation and will continue to provide further information to providers regarding CMPs as it becomes available.
- Find health care facilities licensed, certified or registered by the South Dakota Department of Health
- Find current survey reports for South Dakota nursing facilities
- Levels of long-term care in South Dakota.
- South Dakota Hospital PricePoint - consumer information about inpatient services & charges (leaves DOH site)
- Hospital Compare - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Nursing Home Compare - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Home Health Compare - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Your Guide to Choosing A Nursing Home or Other Long Term-Care - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Forms and Applications
- For Health Care Provider Use Only
- Adult Foster Care - License Application
- Ambulatory Surgical Center - License Application
- Assisted Living Center
- Chemical Dependency Treatment Facility - License Application
- Controlled Substance Registration
- Hospital - License Application
- Nursing Facility - License Application
- Radiation Machine (ionizing) - License Application
- Residential Living Center - Registration | Resident Evaluation
The South Dakota Department of Health has designed five power point presentations intended to provide education and to assist providers in evaluating their current practices.
- How to Conduct an Investigation was created to develop understanding and consistency with the investigative process and ensure appropriate reporting is occurring.
- Created to assist providers with reporting requirements for specific provider types:
- Customer Relations was created to assist providers in problem solving with the healthcare participants and to use a complaint as a stepping stone to improve the healthcare provided.