Tracking of Bed Availability (HAvBED)
The HAvBED (Hospital Available Beds for Emergencies and Disasters) system is designed to be a real-time, electronic hospital bed tracking/monitoring system. HAvBED tracks the number of beds available at hospitals, clinics and long-term care facilities and interfaces directly with the U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) HAvBED data system.
HAvBED serves as a management tool to assist in a system or region’s ability to care for a surge of patients in the event of a mass casualty or large-scale disaster and provides response via emergency department triage capacity reporting. By providing geographical information system (GIS) interactive mapping, emergency responders are able to tell at-a-glance current hospital or shelter bed status and resource availability, such as decontamination facilities, air and land emergency medical service (EMS) providers.
Benefits of HAvBED:
- Delivers Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) grant guidance compliance for statewide HAvBED polls, including bed availability and situational assessment data that interfaces with HHS
- Offers hospital evacuation and repatriation status reporting, including level-of-operations, critical asset needs and infrastructure integrity assessments
- Incorporates HPP situational awareness for flu response, such as syndromic volume surveillance and case reporting activities
- Supports and strengthens mutual aid relationships across regional and state boundaries
- Provides extensive reporting, including detailed, summary and trending data aggregation; shelters and shelter-in-place reporting and management; and mental health and dialysis services availability reporting
- Allows viewing and online requesting of current regional caches.
South Dakota is developing a system capable of reporting bed categories that are consistent with HAvBED requirements and definitions. The system connects to the South Dakota Emergency Operations Center and is linked directly to HHS.
- How to Update Facility Bed and Situational Assessment Data
- How to Update Bed Availability Data - Clinics
- How to Update Bed Availability Data - Long Term Care