Office of Health Facilities Licensure & Certification
This office surveys, licenses and recommends federal certification for health care facilities. Its goal is to ensure state health and safety standards are met and also federal standards if the facility is a Medicaid or Medicare provider.
Note to providers:
Pursuant to the March 22, 2013 CMS Survey & Certification Memo, effective April 1, 2013, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) may impose civil money penalties (CMPs) on nursing homes in South Dakota when serious deficiencies are identified. At this time, the Department of Health does not intend to begin recommending CMPs to the CMS Region VIII Office. However, this will not preclude CMS from imposing CMPs directly on South Dakota nursing facilities. Below is the evaluation tool and guidance documents issued by CMS. DOH will closely monitor the situation and will continue to provide further information to providers regarding CMPs as it becomes available.
- Instructions for Use and Completion of the Civil Money Penalty Tool Calculator
- Find health care facilities licensed, certified or registered by the South Dakota Department of Health
- Find current survey reports for South Dakota nursing facilities
- Levels of long-term care in South Dakota.
- South Dakota Hospital PricePoint - consumer information about inpatient services & charges (leaves DOH site)
- Hospital Compare - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services site providing information on how well hospitals care for adult patients with medical conditions
- Nursing Home Compare - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services site providing current survey results from nursing homes participating in Medicare and Medicaid
- Guide to Choosing A Nursing Home - US Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services publication
Forms and Applications
- Adult Foster Care - License Application
- Ambulatory Surgical Center - License Application
- Assisted Living Center
- Chemical Dependency Treatment Center - License Application
- Controlled Substance Registration
- Hospital - License Application
- Nursing Facility - License Application
- Radiation Machine (ionizing) - License Application
- Residential Living Center - Registration
- Facility Engineering Information Forms & Reports