Shipper's Responsibilities When Shipping Infectious Substances
- Follow the regulations for the carrier transporting the package.
- Complete a training course in shipping dangerous goods and attend regular updates sessions as specified by regulations.
- Identify and classify the material to be shipped.
- Correctly pack, label, mark, and document the shipment.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for the package system used.
- Contact the recipient before sending the package.
Proper packing and shipping of infectious materials assures that the people handling the package are safe and that the package makes it to its destination in its intended form and condition. If packages containing dangerous materials are not packaged and identified properly, the shipper can be levied with serious penalties and fines.