Getting a South Dakota Lodging Establishment License
(bed & breakfasts, specialty resorts, hotels)
Step 1 — Complete Lodging Licensing Packet
Download the following materials or call the Office of Health Protection, at (605) 773-4945 to request a packet.
- Lodging Establishments Health and Safety Manual (Administrative Rules of SD):
- Department of Health License Application
- Lodging Facilities Plan Review Questionnaire
- Lodging Facilities Checklist
- Water Recreational Facilities (pools, spas) Plan Review Questionnaire
- Egress Window Requirements
- Recommended Standards for Swimming Pool Design and Operation
- Suggested Health and Safety Guidelines for Public Spas and Hot Tubs
Step 2 — Meet Requirements
A. South Dakota Codified Law 34-18-23 requires lodging establishments to notify Department of construction and alteration projects.
- 30 days before construction starts, submit detailed floor plan of lodging and water recreational facilities to Office of Health Protection. Plans should be drawn to a recommended scale 1/8 " = 1 foot.
- Layout plans must be stamped by professional engineer or architect for facilities larger than 4,000 square feet.
- Complete plan review questionnaire and submit with floor plan to:
SD Department of Health - Office of Health Protection - 600 E. Capitol - Pierre, SD - 57501-2536
B. If establishment uses private sewer or water systems, they must be approved by South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, 605-773-3351.
C. Complete, notarize, and submit the license/registration application with correct fee 30 days before completion of construction to:
- SD Department of Health -
Office of Health Protection -
600 E. Capitol -
Pierre, SD - 57501-2536
A. Department reviews layout plan and plan review questionnaire.
B. Department sends written notification regarding approval or changes required.
C. Department approves facility plan once it all areas of plan comply with appropriate Administrative Rules of South Dakota — ARSD 44:02:02 Hotels, 44:02:05 Speciality Resorts, 44:02:06 Bed & Breakfast Establishments, 44:02:08 Vacation Homes.
Questions? Contact a Health Protection Advisor in your region.
During construction process and before business opening, department conducts onsite inspection to determine compliance with administrative rules.
Department issues lodging license once license application made, plan review completed, and final inspection determines compliance.
South Dakota Hotel and Lodging Association
Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers of South Dakota
Governor's Office of Economic Development, Business Start-Up information
South Dakota State Plumbing Commission
South Dakota State Electrical Commission
South Dakota Department of Revenue