Food & Lodging Safety
Office of Health Protection
This office licenses food services, lodging establishments, and campgrounds to assure health and safety standards are met and the public health protected. It handles complaint investigations involving such facilities while routine inspections are conducted by the State Inspection Program in the Department of Public Safety.
Health Protection also conducts environmental health investigations.
NEWS: Certified Pool Trainers of Iowa & Minnesota are offering SD Certified Pool Operators Classes in Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Aberdeen. Courses are scheduled in April, May June and September - check the link for details.
May 2015 Inpsection Program Webinar Materials
- Questions? Find contact information for a Health Protection Advisor in your region
- The FLASH (food, lodging and safety headlines) newsletter - March 2016 | September 2015
- Information for vendors at farmers markets (SDSU Extension materials)
- SD Requirements for the Sale of Baked Goods and Home-canned Processed Foods at Farmers Markets
- Drying Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs: General Safe Food Handling Recommendations
- Frequently Asked Questions: South Dakota Requirements for Sale of Baked Goods and Home-processed Canned Foods under "The Home-Processed Foods Law," South Dakota Codified Law
34-18-34 through 34-18-37
- Food Sampling Requirements
- Food Safety and Raw Milk
- FoodSafety.gov (Gateway to Federal Food Safety Information)
- USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service Recalls
- Serving Safe Barbeques for a Crowd (SDSU Extension Service)
- Food & Drug Administration Recalls