Food & Lodging Safety
Office of Health Protection
This office licenses food services, lodging establishments, and campgrounds to assure health and safety standards are met and the public health protected. It handles complaint investigations involving such facilities while routine inspections are conducted by the State Inspection Program in the Department of Public Safety.
Health Protection also conducts environmental health investigations.
May 28, 2015, Webinar Materials
- Questions? Find contact information for a Health Protection Advisor in your region.
- Information for vendors at farmers markets (SDSU Extension materials)
- South Dakota Requirements for the Sale of Baked Goods and Home-canned Processed Foods at Farmers Markets
- Drying Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs: General Safe Food Handling Recommendations
- Frequently Asked Questions: South Dakota Requirements for Sale of Baked Goods and Home-processed Canned Foods under "The Home-Processed Foods Law," South Dakota Codified Law
34-18-34 through 34-18-37
- Food sampling requirements
- Food safety and raw milk
- Fact Sheets for Food Service Establishments
- FoodSafety.gov (Gateway to Federal Food Safety Information)
- USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service
- Serving Safe Barbeques for a Crowd (SDSU Extension Service)
- Food & Drug Administration