Step 1 — Complete Campground Licensing Packet
Download the following materials or call the Office of Health Protection at 605-773-4945 to request a packet.
- Administrative Rules of South Dakota 44:02:14
- Department of Health License Application
- Campground Facilities Plan Review Questionnaire
- Water Recreational Facilities (pools, spas) Plan Review Questionnaire
- Recommended Standards for Swimming Pool Design and Operation
- Suggested Health and Safety Guidelines for Public Spas and Hot Tubs
Step 2 — Meet Requirements
A. South Dakota Codified Law 34-18-23 requires campgrounds to notify department of construction and alteration projects.
- 30 days before construction starts, submit scaled drawing of campground to the Office of Health Protection (recommended scale 1/8 " = 1 foot).
- Complete plan review questionnaire and submit with plan to:
SD Department of Health - Office of Health Protection - 600 E. Capitol - Pierre, SD - 57501-2536
B. If the establishment uses private sewer or water systems, they must be approved by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, 605-773-3351.
C. Complete, notarize, and submit application with correct fee 30 days before completion of construction to:
- SD Department of Health - Office of Health Protection - 600 E. Capitol - Pierre, SD - 57501-2536
A. Department reviews layout plan and plan review questionnaire.
B. Department sends written notification regarding approval or changes required.
C. Department approves campground plan once it complies with ARSD 44:02:14.
Questions? Contact a Health Protection Advisor in your region.
During construction process and before business opening, department conducts onsite inspection to determine compliance with administrative rules.
Department issues campground license once application is made, plan review is completed, and final inspection determines compliance.