Department of Health Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get a certified copy of South Dakota birth certificate or other vital record?
- order certified copies of SD birth, death, marriage and divorce records
- records from local county Register of Deeds offices
- records from other states
- Search SD 100-year-old birth records | Genealogy records at county Register of Deeds offices
How do I file a complaint about a physician or health professional?
- SD Board of Medicine and Osteopathic Examiners — complaints about doctors of medicine and osteopathy, physician assistants, physical therapists, advanced life support personnel, athletic trainers, occupational therapists, respiratory therapists, nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, and dietitians
- SD Board of Nursing — complaints about nurses
- Health Department's Office of Licensure and Certification — complaints about abuse, neglect or poor quality of care by a health care facility or nurse aide
How do I file a complaint about a restaurant, lodging facility or campground?
- file a complaint about public health issues at food, lodging, campground, bed and breakfast, or specialty resort establishments (provide disease specific information if complaint involves food-borne illness)
- report food-borne illness
Where can I find health inspection scores for restaurants, lodging facilities or campgrounds?
Which immunizations does my child need and where can I find a provider?
- schedule of recommended childhood immunizations (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- immunizations required for school entry in SD
- childhood vaccine providers by county (or call 1-800-592-1861)
How do I know when my child is sick enough to be kept home from day care?
Where can I find information about South Dakota health care facilities?
- Current survey reports for nursing facilities licensed by the Department of Health
- Contact information for South Dakota health facilities licensed and/or certified by the Department of Health
- Federal Nursing Home Compare site — list of South Dakota facilities with recent survey information for each
- Federal Hospital Quality Compare site — how well hospitals in your area care for adult patients
Where can I find out about getting married during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally?