Pregnancy Information and Services
South Dakota State Agency Services and Resources
Bright Start Initiative
- Provides a variety of services to assure that every baby born in South Dakota has the opportunity for a good start in life. Services may include home visitation, newborn hearing screenings, early intervention screenings, immunizations, responsive parenting seminars and information for parents via the web, the infant welcome box and a monthly newsletter.
Department of Health
- Family & Community Health Services — Delivers the South Dakota Baby Care Program (perinatal services) and provides risk assessment, case management, perinatal education, prenatal/postpartum visits, referral to community resources and referral for genetic counseling. Community Health Nurses can also help locate private physicians that provide care related to pregnancy.
- Family Planning Program — Provides pregnancy testing and referrals to medical care and other available resources and sources of assistance.
- WIC — Supplemental nutrition program for eligible women, infants and children. Provides nutrition education and counseling, breast-feeding support (information & breast pumps perinatal education), healthy foods, referral to doctors, nurses, health and social service agencies, and immunizations if needed.
Department of Social Services
- Services include food stamps, energy assistance, financial assistance for medical services, assistance with transportation, financial assistance with child care, information about adoptions and adoption resources. The department also funds domestic abuse centers.
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse — Funds treatment programs for pregnant women and women with dependent children.
- Mental Health — Provides a variety of services including medical, social, educational, vocational and other support services necessary to meet basic human needs. Services are available through Community Mental Health Centers.