The South Dakota Immunization Program aims to protect all South Dakotans against vaccine preventable disease by increasing immunization coverage levels of children and adults.
The program provides vaccine, materials, training, and support to both public and private immunization providers throughout the state. It increases public awareness of immunizations by providing educational materials to all vaccine providers and working in partnership with local and statewide coalitions. The program also monitors immunization levels of children in South Dakota and is involved with vaccine preventable disease surveillance and outbreak control.
Within the program is the South Dakota Immunization Information System (SDIIS), a computer software system that allows health care providers to share immunization records.
- NEWS: Beginning with the 2016-2017 school year, there are new vaccination requirements for 6th grade students in South Dakota.
- South Dakota Medicine Special Edition - The Story of Immunization
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Locating a Childhood Immunization Provider
Check this listing of vaccine providers by county. Or call your local primary care doctor, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or Community Health Office. Most such providers give childhood immunizations. Or, call the South Dakota Department of Health Immunization Program at 1-800-592-1861 (in SD only) for help finding a provider in your area.
Because the South Dakota Department of Health supplies childhood vaccines for children eligible for the federal Vaccines for Children Program the following conditions apply to eligible children:
- You cannot be charged for the vaccine. However, you may be asked to pay a small administration fee, which is capped at $20.73 per injection.
- This administration fee must be waived if you are unable to pay.
- You may be required to pay for an office visit fee in order to receive the vaccine.
Available vaccines & eligibility chart
For additional information about available state-supplied vaccines contact the Immunization Program at 1-800-592-1861
Sioux Falls Coalition
Focus: promote immunizations for all ages