Online Tools and Resources
After awareness comes action! Now that you know and understand that heart disease and stroke are the first and third leading causes of death in South Dakota and in the nation, you are ready to take action and assess your own personal risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Check out the helpful online resources below to help you on your journey to better health. Also, follow these simple steps to improve your health!
- Get regular checkups.
- Know your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar numbers.
- Follow your doctor's recommendations for diet and exercise.
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- If you smoke, quit now - call the SD QuitLine at 1-866-SD-Quits (1-866-737-8487)
- Get at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each day.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet, including fruits, vegetables, whole-grain foods and fish.
- Limit food high in saturated fats and cholesterol. Check out the DASH diet for a doctor-approved heart healthy plan.
- Limit your sodium intake to 2,300 mg a day.
- If you drink alcohol, drink in moderation, an average of no more than one drink a day for non pregnant women.
Heart360 - The Cardiovascular Wellness Center — an online resource from the American Heart Association that allows you to manage your heart health. This collection of tools to help you track/monitor your blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol, physical activity and nutrition. You'll also receive helpful advice and information.