Unlicensed Diabetes Aide (UDA) and Unlicensed Medication Aide (UMA) applicants must pass the South Dakota
Board of Nursing (SDBON) online examination to be listed on the Registry. The online exam must be taken under
the oversight of a test Proctor whose Proctor Agreement Form has been approved by the SDBON.
UMA/UDA Application & Testing: After successfully completing a Medication Aide Training Program (MATP)/
Diabetes Aide Training Program, the applicant will submit the online UMA/UDA Initial Registration Application and
identify a Board approved proctor who will administer the exam.
Once the South Dakota Board of Nursing determines that the student has met the requirements, the identified
board-approved proctor will receive an email advising exam eligibility.
The proctor will log into their Proctor Portal with the username and password that was provided.
- If the proctor wishes to change their password, please email Ashley Kroger with the password you
wish to use.
Once the proctor Agrees to proctor the individuals exam. The applicant will then receive an email
stating that the proctor they indicated has accepted their request.
Following receipt of the online access information, the Proctor may administer the exam to the UMA/UDA
applicant according to the Proctor Agreement Guidelines.
a licensed nurse. Proctor Agreement Approval is valid for two years; no notice of expiration will be sent.
The Proctor may renew, if desired, by submitting a new Proctor Agreement Form.
The Proctor agrees to adhere to the following requirements and procedures:
- I agree to safeguard the confidentiality of all information about the examinations, including materials,
processes,procedures, and content of the examinations. I will not disclose any portion of the examination
materials and I will not disclose the processes or procedures necessary to administer or to pass an
- I will report any known or suspected breach in security by contacting the South Dakota Board of Nursing
office as soon as possible.
- I agree to accept the following proctor responsibilities. I will:
- Ensure a secure testing environment.
- Verify the identity of the candidate.
- Allow the candidate to access the exam only in my presence, and I will remain in the testing area until the
exam is completed.
- Ensure that the candidate does not leave the room except in an emergency.
- Ensure that the candidate does not open any browsers or computer files during the exam.
- Ensure that the online exam is not printed.
- Ensure that the candidate does not have books, notes, reference aides, or cell phone while taking the exam.
- Ensure, to the best of my ability, that cheating does not occur. If the candidate is suspected of cheating,
I will contact the South Dakota Board of Nursing as soon as possible.
- Not allow any unauthorized person to hear, view, record, or otherwise gain any knowledge about the exam or
the exam processes and procedures before, during, or after the administration of an exam.
- Not administer the exam or proctor a candidate who is my friend, relative, spouse, colleague
(e.g. medication aide,diabetes aide).
Unlicensed Assistive Personnel
Registry status implies only that an unlicensed individual has met the minimal training and testing requirements
necessary to accept delegated tasks by a licensed nurse while under a nurse's supervision. Registry status does
not imply that an individual has met moral, ethical, or legal standards. The registries should not take the place
of an employer's hiring screening process or background check.