1. Review of applications – Applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Upon receipt, each application shall be verified for completeness and evidence that the J-1 physician will provide full-time service to a shortage area.
2. Incomplete applications – One written request to the employing facility will be made for any materials not included in the application. If the requested materials are not received within 30 days of the date of the written request, the application will be rejected and returned.
3. Complete applications with favorable review – If application materials support seeking waiver of the J-1 physician’s two-year home residency requirement, the following will occur:
4. Annual limit on number of applications –The annual number of applications that can be reviewed and recommended for approval is limited to 30, beginning on October 1 of each year.
5. Complete applications with unfavorable review - If application materials do not support seeking waiver of the J-1 physician’s two-year home residency requirement, the Secretary shall notify the employing facility in writing as to the reasons for the determination. The written notice and application shall be sent to the employing facility.