Office of Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
This office coordinates programs designed to promote health and prevent disease. For information or technical assistance regarding any of the following programs, call 1-800-738-2301.
The Office of Health Promotion 2020 Strategic Map details the vision that all South Dakotans will enjoy healthy lives free from the devastation of chronic diseases.
- All Women Count! (Breast and Cervical Cancer Control) - coordinates statewide activities to promote early detection of breast and cervical cancer; pays for screening tests for underinsured women who meet age and income guidelines.
- Diabetes Prevention & Control - collaborates with partners to design, implement, and evaluate a broad range of public health strategies to reduce the burden of diabetes and improve the quality of life for all persons affected by diabetes in South Dakota.
- Healthy South Dakota - a statewide effort to promote healthy eating and increased physical activity as a means to reduce overweight/obesity and chronic disease. The web site provides a single, reliable source of information on nutrition and physical activity.
- Heart Disease & Stroke Prevention - promotes healthy communities through prevention, detection, and monitoring of cardiovascular diseases within South Dakota.
- Oral Health - strives to improve the oral health of South Dakotans by collaborating with partners to assess access to care, workforce and dental health needs, and supporting programs to provide education for consumers and professionals.
- School Health - provides technical guidance and services to schools; administered jointly with Department of Education's Coordinated School Health Program.
- South Dakota Cancer Registry - ensures the coordination of cancer reporting in the state.
- Tobacco Control - coordinates state efforts to prevent young people from starting to use tobacco products, help current tobacco users quit, and reduce non-smokers' exposure to second-hand smoke.